Monday, May 14, 2007

Why I Don't Travel in May



























I like to stay close to home in May, and this is a big reason why: my oakleaf hydrangeas are in bloom. I first discovered this most beautiful of all southern shrubbery on the Cumberland Plateau of eastern TN in 1997. As soon as I returned home, I ordered a couple from a mail-order nursery. Later I came across another Texas enthusiast who donated cuttings to a garden club sale. With his help, and later from my own cuttings, I have blanketed my yard with oakleaf hydrangeas, as well as pawning them off on neighbors and friends. I suppose there are worse obsessions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. My passion is azaleas and I hate to be away from them. I completely understand :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful indeed. I'd never leave the house, but lay on the lawn [and what a glorious lawn it is!] all day.

Anonymous said...

You kinda hit the nail on the head with that over here. I totally understand You. My cute little town really blossoms this time of year too, flourishes, and becomes very pretty. Many sites are hauntingly beautiful.

Mimi said...

Those are gorgeous! I also have hydrangeas in my yard, but only one bush, and of the blue variety.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for rubbing it in! Although my patch ain't so bad in spring and fall either.