Monday, February 02, 2009

St. Ekvtime the Confessor (Kereselidze)


My friend John Graham over at Georgian Chant reminds us that February 2nd is the commemoration of St. Ekvtime the Confessor, a 20th-century Georgian saint. His story makes for compelling reading. Another short biography, here.



Thou didst make fertile the barren wilderness with the streams of thy tears; and by thy deep sighing and through thy struggles thou hast borne fruit a hundredfold. Accordingly, thou hast become a star for the universe. Therefore, O Holy Father Ekvtime, intercede with Christ God to save our souls!

3 comments:

Jared Cramer said...

John,

Forgive me if I've missed your post on this, but I'm curious what you think of the new Patriarch of Russia?

Terry (John) said...

No, I have not posted on this. Frankly, I have not kept up with all the in-house speculations regarding this selection. That said, his selection is generally regarded as being a good thing by the Orthodoxically-inclined. He is seen as a somewhat more open face towards engagement with the West...whatever that means. But, time will tell.

Jared Cramer said...

Ahh. Thanks.