Sunday, February 03, 2008

Closest Book Meme

David Bryan, here, has tagged me with the Closest Book Meme. The rules are:

1. Pick up the nearest book ( of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

I have never forwarded a chainletter or anything of that nature, so I think I will follows s-p's lead and let the meme die here. But it is fun to play along. If I were home, I would be able to throw out a passage from my Landmark Herodotus. But, I am away from home, in this case, Austin. That means, of course, a mandatory stop at the "Best Little Orthodox Bookstore in Texas," mentioned, earlier. So, my selection is, as follows:

Faith in the Byzantine World, by Mary Cunningham

Finally, Orthodox Christians believed then, and still believe, that God continues to reveal himself to us through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. The ideas expressed in the seven ecumenical councils of the Church, which took place between 325 and 787, may go beyond biblical sources in their formulation of Christian doctrine; nevertheless, this reflects God's continuing involvement in human history and the gradual process of divine revelation. As Gregory Nazianzen argued in the fourth century, some doctrines, such as the divinity of the Spirit, were revealed only gradually since Christ's disciples and their followers were not yet capable of fully understanding them.

No comments: