Friday, February 24, 2006

Current Reading List

I have a bad habit of trying to read too many books at the same time. My current list includes:

The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East by Robert Fisk

The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality by Kyriacos C. Markides

First Fruits of Prayer: A Forty-Day Journey Through the Canon of St. Andrew by Frederica Mathewes-Green

No Man is an Island by Thomas Merton

The Philokalia (Volume I) compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain

The Assassin's Gate by George Packer

Orthodox Saints (Volume I) by George Poulas

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, how do you like the book by Kyriacos C. Markides? I ask because I was thinking of purchasing it but felt reluctant somehow.
Best,
Michaelk

Terry (John) said...

I like it. It is, however, a book to be read and digested slowly; ot grows on you with the reading. Here's a quote I like from the book:

"We lost the knowledge of God...at the moment when we transformed the Ecclesia from experience into theology, from a living reality into moralistic principles, good values, and high ideals. When that happened...we became like tin cans with nothing inside."

Mimi said...

I really enjoyed "Mountain of Silence" as well.

I'm a one book at a time person, I just have a stack in the "to read" pile.